* These are the "true"
dolphins - these don't include porpoises and river
* They do include bottlenose, common, spinner, spotted, striped,
short beaked, long beaked, Fraser's, humpback, Irrawaddy,
rough-toothed, and Risso's dolphins, and melon headed, pilot, and
Poster by AllPosters. Click on thumbnail to buy
* Most of them are 2-3 metres in length although killer whales can
reach 10 metres.
* Dolphins are fast swimmers and active
* Dolphins are smart
animals, able to solve simple puzzles and learn
* Their communication
is complex, almost like a language.
have a good sense of taste
but not a very good sense of
is also better than their eyesight, because sounds travel
very well in the water, while water can be murky and not very easy to
* Dolphins also have two senses that humans don't - they can sense the
and they can use echolocation.
* Most dolphins have 60-100 teeth.
They use their teeth to catch the
food rather than to chew it. They swallow their food instead.
Dolphins make many different sounds
for many different reasons such as
communicating to each other, navigating and finding different objects
such as prey, mates or enemies.